About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The windshield project Part 1


I know it has been over a month since my last update. Not much has really happened until this past week because of my summer schedule. I was sick of waiting for other people to help me and I do not want to pay the high price to have the glass company do it, so I decided to try to install the windshield myself.

First, I tried setting the glass in place with the rubber seal on. That did not work well.
 

Then, after watching a couple YouTube videos on how to install a “classic Mini” windshield, I found out that he first thing I had to do was to attach only the rubber seal strip. That went well.
 

Then I set the glass in place and slowly went around pressing and prying it into the rubber slot. It was slow and tedious.
 

Then I got to the last thirteen inches, and no matter what I did the rubber strip would not budge. I tried everything from dousing it with dish soap to make it slippery, to trying different tools. I decided to stop for now before I damaged the rubber strip or worse...the windshield itself.  This is the part where I really need another person to help or it could become a catastrophe!
 

John will be over to help in a couple days. The front left brake caliper needs tweaking, and hopefully he can help with this windshield project, also. Chris has the windshield locking strip filet tool to aid me in setting the locking strip in place. I hope he will let me borrow it for a few days.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

1 comment: