About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Door panel installation Part 1


We finally had a day that got above 50’F…for a couple hours anyway. I tried to make the best of it by starting to install the passenger (right) side door panel.

I knew this project was going to take a little time and patience. The original door panels rotted from the bottom so I restored them with new Masonite three years ago (see post 5/17/11) and reused the original material. The reason why they rotted was because moisture seeped down through the window glazings (both rubber (on the outside) and fuzzy (on the inside) and splashed through the door holes onto the panel.
 

To prevent this from happening again, I took a thick plastic bag and cut out the shapes to cover the holes. Then, I used good old duct tape to stick them on. The original hole covering was a masking tape-like stuff which deteriorated away.
 

Next, since the door panel Masonite was new, I had to mark where the holes had to be drilled for the door handle and door pocket screws. The screws were screwed into place in the door. I put black gasket sealer on the screw heads so they would mark the back of the panel where I would have to drill.
 


I clipped the panel in place and pushed hard so that the screws marked the panel. While doing this I looked at it to make sure the new panel fit well. I can proudly say it does!
 

Only the door handle screws and larger top of the pocket screws were secured. I still have to get the bottom three small screws installed but could not complete it yesterday. The screws I bought were ¼” too short!! And, a cold front passed though dropping temperatures quickly and making it very windy, which ended my work session.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment