About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, June 23, 2013

My visit to see Old Biddy at Chris's


Had to deliver some parts down to Chris yesterday. It was great to see my old girl again!

When I arrived I saw her all disassembled and up on jacks. It was a bittersweet moment. Chris assured me that 90% of what I assembled was correct. There were just a few things that, unless I was a mechanic on British cars, I would have done wrong anyway. And, that is why Chris has her.
 

The biggest operation he had to do was to repair the hydrolastic suspension system. The two hoses were not aligned correctly, especially the one on the right in the picture (the driver’s side). That was because they (the previous owner) had a right (passenger’s) side hose on that side and they twisted it into place. Chris had to tweak it a bit more to make it fit and clean up the fittings.
 

He dropped the gas tank to inspect the rear units. All looked fine except for installing new rubber boots on the “cans” to seal out moisture. The inside of the gas tank was already cleaned and coated…no rust!!!
 

The fuel pump needs new points. We may just install a transistorized circuit on it so I do not have to worry about it anymore. He will open it up this week and check out the rubber diaphragm inside it. And, he will put a new fuel filter in the tank, too, while it is off the car.
 

This is the brake connector that I mentioned in the last post. It is the wrong one and it was painted over (and clogged with paint). This kind of a unit was installed on later Austin Americas so that it diverts brake fluid. If the front brakes died, the back brakes would still work and vice versa. The correct one will replace it.
 

I forgot to bring a couple parts down there as I have a few original parts that he needs. Since he is working on the brake lines and system, fuel lines and system, and hydrolastic suspension system, the good thing is that I only have to purchase a new copper nickel brake line kit and few other bits and pieces…nothing big for a change!

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment