About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, March 17, 2013

A trip to the shop


After my post from last week, I was sent a message asking if I have been “working on any parts to refurbish them”. Since Old Biddy’s progress has stalled for the next couple weeks, the answer is YES. I like to keep busy so the momentum does not stop on this project even if I am not working directly on the car itself.

I got a chance to go to my friend Daryl’s high school Tech Ed shop and do some work. I brought the rear arm and a chunk of the rusted out sub-frame to which it was attached.
 

The nut on the inside was frozen and I had to hack away at the frame in order to get it separated.
 

I broke my own cardinal rule by not taking a picture of me using the right angle grinder with sparks flying. But after about an hour of hacking away, it finally separated.
 

The end cap has a frozen bolt also. I wanted to separate that, too, but the school’s torch ran out of acetylene gas to heat it up.
 
 
 
 
I snapped away what I could of the rusty sub-frame remnant. The rest will have to wait.

 
 

I then turned my attention to the “parts in the box”; the other end cap, and the hardware to attach the rear anti-sway anti-roll bar.
 

I got to use my favorite machine in the shop, the sandblaster! I love to sandblast. It is very satisfying and I can just zone out and think about other things while I am cleaning parts. It is therapeutic.
 

They came out nice.
 
So I brought them home and primered them. I kept the other rusty end cap in the picture for a before/after comparison. The locking tabs are very brittle so I left them "as is".
 

This week I have a couple other things I would like to do. Parts are going up for sale on eBay…but not selling, even at the rock bottom prices that I put them up for. I know I will not make a profit, I just want them gone!

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment