About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rear windshield (windscreen) installation

This week I concentrated on getting the rear windshield installed. The first thing that had to be done was to finish fitting the rubber gasket seal in place and repair it with rubber cement.

A thin string was then soaked in dishwashing soap and tucked into the groove with a putty knife. I watched videos and read how to install windshields so I thought I would prepare ahead of time.

Since this was going to be a two person job, I called John over for his help. On the first attempt, we found that the windshield was not seating properly in the opening with the rubber gasket installed. We took it off the windshield and fit it on the car first.

The windshield was set in place and a taped putty knife was used to seat the glass into the rubber groove. With me inside the car pushing the gasket and John outside using the blade, this seemed to work well.

An hour and a half after starting the project, the rear windshield is finally in place! The only thing that needs to be done is to put the rubber locking strip into the groove in the outside of the gasket.

It looks good from the inside, also!

And, just for fun, I installed the Wingard interior light. I bought this one off that auction site just before the prices for them began to skyrocket. Sometimes I get lucky.

This week will be a busy one so only odds and ends will be getting done. Stay tuned!
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment