About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dashboard (fascia) restoration (Part 3) and installation

This week I decided to finally finish and install the dashboard.
My solution was a simple one which was used by BMC as an option for MG Midgets and MGBs in the early and mid-1960s…walnut grained shelving material! It makes sense, and is true to the MG style, and it really does not look that bad. The sales brochure specifically states the dashboard as having a “walnut grained finish.” So I ordered a large roll, since small ones are just not available, and went to work measuring a 3”x 50” strip.

Then, cutting it with scissors.

And, laying it down to make sure the graining looks good.

Then it was trimmed to size as the contact paper was being stripped off. I tried not to stretch it as it was being installed as that would cause problems later on. I decided not to post pictures of me cutting out the holes and the pop rivets in the contact vinyl. It was tedious and boring.

I installed the switches, speedometer and lamp lens, albeit, a couple are in the wrong positions. I also do not know correct positions for the colored lenses.

I took it out the car and laid it in place to make all the necessary connections of the wires, cables, and hoses.

And there it is…Old Biddy now has her dashboard installed!! It looks good and is pretty much period correct.

This week, the parcel shelf has to be painted and the rest of the wires, cables and hoses will have to be connected inside the engine compartment. And...I still need the correct lamps for the sockets!!
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment