About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Dashboard (Fascia) restoration Part 2

Work continued on the dashboard restoration this week.
I started by using a Dremel tool with a stone attachment bit to grind down the welding nubs.

Once smoothed out, the Bondo was slathered on and sanded down…twice. It was not perfect by any means, but that is fine because it will be covered by the lower crash pad anyway. Shhh, it will be our secret!

The whole dashboard was then sanded down and primed.

I laid a bead of automotive sealant on the loose edges of the metal patches on the back side to help prevent moisture from getting in and rusting, which is what happened to this dashboard before. Then two coats of the custom matched paint were sprayed on.

I decided to mock up the dashboard with all the bits and pieces to see if I lost any in the past year. Looks good!

After practicing a number of times, I decided to give my faux wood graining skills a try to simulate the faux walnut that was painted on before. What a botched job!! Sometimes in life you never know what you are not meant to do until you try it. Guess what I discovered about myself this week?! 

This is a good point to leave you hanging until next time. I think I will be searching for a strip of 3”x 60” walnut grained decal or shelf covering, or a 1960's style chicken/barnyard wallpaper…anything to cover up THAT disaster!!
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment