About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dashboard (Fascia) restoration Part 1

The dashboard restoration adventure started this week.
I first stripped all the accessories from the face; the chrome strip, the blanking panel clamps, etc…

Then used a wire wheel to clean the metal and to totally expose the holes.

Thursday night I brought it to the high school workshop for metal repair. I began by measuring and cutting metal strips from scraps that the students made that day for the inside. I never got a chance to use these tools so it was a learning curve…but fun!

I had to bend a little lip so it fit and stayed in place on the panel.

When my part of the job was done cutting, trimming, and fitting the strips…

John and Daryl took over and used the resistance welder to weld them in place.

But that welder was giving us trouble so John used the MIG welder instead. Yes, he broke a Cardinal safety rule by not using a mask or eye protection! I never welded before so it was fun for me to watch (and to wear a welding helmet!).

When we were done, it ended up looking like this. There are only a few little weld bumps to grind down before I can Bondo. You will see that in Part 2 in a few days.

Here is the tachometer that I am going to install as an accessory instrument (along with an oil pressure gauge, a volt meter, and a vacuum gauge) which is getting sent out to Nisonger Instruments for a rehab. The tachometer is a Smiths RVI2401/00A not an 00B. I do not know the difference but it should work when we hook it all up. If anyone does know the difference, which may even be as minor as paint color on the dial face, please send me a message.

This week I will continue working on the dashboard. With nothing on my weekday evening agenda this week, I should be able to get quite a bit accomplished now that the hard part is done.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment