About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fan belt, wheel, wires, and more!

This week’s operations concentrated on finishing or solving last week’s problems. After taking a break for a day to settle down, I went back at it.
First, the fan belt situation was taken care of. The one that I received was two inches too long. John happened to have an old spare belt from one of his motors. Instead of ordering another one, paying the shipping and waiting, I took John’s belt to my local auto parts store. They happened to have one hanging up …love to see them use their grapple hook to get it down! The price was a wash. The top shroud was removed, old belt off, new belt on, tightened the generator, and viola…done! Shroud was re-installed after this picture was taken.

I moved on to getting the drive shaft through the passenger (right) side wheel hub. I had to pound on it with a hammer and block of wood far enough for the castle nut to thread on at least one thread. After that, I just screwed the castle nut on and it pulled the shaft the rest of the way through…viola…done!

My main goal this week was to install the new distributor cap and plug wire set. It involved lots of measuring and patience but it was quite fun.

After all the plug sockets were screwed onto the wires and the wires were secured into the distributor cap, I moved on to the coil wire. The hardest part was trying to stretch the rubber coil cover onto the coil. I soaked it in hot water to make it pliable and (with a tiny bit of coaxing) it slid right on!

After putting the cover on and screwing the coil in place on the generator, I secured the coil wire into the distributor cap…viola…done! I just hope I did it right. I suppose we will find out when we go to start it up.

Here is the previous rat’s nest of misfitting wires and incorrect distributor cap. Glad it is gone!

Next, I have to concentrate on getting the universal joints installed. After that, Old Biddy can finally get her front tires put on. I also ordered a set of NOS radiator hoses, which may come in this week.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment