About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Monday, January 23, 2012

The smooth and bumpy front suspension adventure

The suspension installation was moving along without problems. It was nice to have all the parts completely restored before assembly. All my previous hard work for the past five years is finally paying off!
I attempted to install the drive shafts so the brake dust cover, hub flange and brake rotor could be installed. I had to figure which shaft went on which side as one is shorter than the other. Once I got that sorted out, (the driver (left) side gets the short shaft) everything else was prepared.  

I attached the flange to the brake rotor making sure to “Anti-seize” the mating surfaces. Four years ago when I was disassembling, a rotor rusted solid to the flange on one side and I ended up ruining that flange trying to break them apart.

Then the brake dust cover was loosely installed. It will not be tightened in place until the calipers are installed. Everything else was slid on and tightened into position. Here is the almost finished driver’s side. Only thing missing is the brake caliper which has to be assembled and then everything gets torqued in and greased up.

The other side did not go as smooth. First, the flange would not seat level on the brake rotor.

And second, the drive shaft did not want to fit through the hub and I could not figure out the reason. I decided to stop for the night before something went wrong.

Radiator update: yes, as I thought, I will need to have a new core!! I should have it back by Wednesday or Thursday. I also forgot to order a couple parts along the way. I need both universal joints and corresponding u bolts. Nothing major just one more thing to do…
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment