About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Braking apart the calipers


This week was very busy but I did manage to squeeze in a couple free hours to do some work on Old Biddy. Since he has more tools than me, John figured that it would be easier to disassemble the front brake calipers at his house and to reassemble them here at home. So up to John’s I went with the brakes.
The bolts holding the halves together were stuck. Nothing that a vice and a little torque could not fix.

After taking out what was left of the brake pads, we thought that the pistons were going to be frozen in place.

I read somewhere about using compressed air (instead of brake fluid under pressure) to “pop” the pistons out. It worked GREAT!!

It was a relief to see that the pistons were in good reusable condition. They just have to be cleaned up before the rebuild operation takes place.

Here are all the parts that came out of the calipers. One of the main reasons the “car didn’t have good brakes” (as the guy who sold me the parts car stated to me.)

I also had a chance to swing by Chris’s to drop off the timing chain cover and the starter. The block has been mated to the transmission.

It looks like jewelry! Check out that nicely painted oil filter housing (if I do say so myself)!

Besides his pride in his craftsmanship and attention to details, one thing that I have always admired about Chris is his straight forward honesty. He has painstakingly labored over this motor more than we both thought that he would. But, he is not ready or in a hurry to finish it until it is finished correctly.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment