About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Finishing the brake rebuild operation

Now that Thanksgiving is just a memory, we can finally settle down and do some more work on Old Biddy. The two projects which still lingered over my head were to get the calipers rebuilt and to work on fabricating the angle iron lift bar.
Since my workshop is finally cleaned and reorganized, John came over to help with the calipers. I felt like one of Santa’s elves working with him!

After we cleaned out the old rings and scraped the rest of the rust out, I was delegated the job of using the brake cleaner…lucky me! Notice that the mating surfaces were carefully polished.

John reinstalled new rubber rings and gently tapped in the metal locking ring with a 7 ounce hammer.

Then we squeezed the piston into the caliper with my vice, which is a two person job since my vice is not bolted to the bench. (Long story!)

In accordance with the “Book of Highly Exalted Words”, here is John torqueing the caliper back together.

Rebuilt at last! They will just have to be degreased before they get repainted their original black. The new pads, clips, shims, and pins will be installed after the calipers are in place on the car.

John brought the angle iron (an old bed frame rail) for me to fabricate the lifting bar. I will get to it on Friday.

At this point in time, it is crucial that I concentrate on getting the front sub-frame removed. All the planning and prep and forward progress that has been done up to this point rests solely upon this step. The front suspension, motor, steering rack, and radiator installation (etc…) will be very difficult to do with the sub-frame in place. Wish me luck!

Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment