About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Rear brake drum/hubs


This week’s project was the final project for this winter…cleaning up and inspecting both spare rear brake drum/hubs.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question a couple months ago! I asked what color everyone’s 1100 drums were. The answers ranged from them being bare cast metal, to black, to having separate hub and (non-painted) drum parts (in the later 1300s and Austin Americas). My book of “highly exalted words” illustrates the unit as Part no BTA375 (which is also stamped on the drum). They were originally painted red outside and black inside. So-be-it, they shall be that again.


Mine were both rusty and caked with fifty years of grease and grime.


But the braking surfaces still have a good bit of material left on them although they will have to be “turned” to smooth them.


The inner bearings (MoWog part no. BTA373, or in the real world 14LJT 7/8) are common “trailer” bearings. They are in good condition and only need to be cleaned and regreased.


The outer bearings (MoWog part no. 13H113, or real world MJT25) are a total loss and need to be replaced. Check out the grooved balls!! Of course, it figures that these are the more expensive and harder to find part!


I decided to just clean the drums up and paint them for now.


I am happy with the outcome besides the fact that they need to be turned and need new outer bearings. If I ever decide to sell them or need to put them on Old Biddy, I will tend to those issues then.


At least my three winter projects ( the radius/trailing arms, the hydrolastic diplacer units and the brake drums) are completed and I know what each of them needs for parts to “finish” them when the time comes. But warmer weather is arriving and my attention shifts back to getting Old Biddy color sanded and registered.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

1 comment:

  1. Hi what a brilliant site ,I have found it so interesting,could I please ask you if you have any info part numbers for rear drum brake shoes to fit the hub bta 375 I’m having trouble finding the correct shoes , thanks Phil

    ReplyDelete