About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Hydrolastic displacer unit clean up


Since spring seems to be coming quickly this year, I have to hurry up and finish my winter projects of refurbishing the spare parts that I have. My ultimate goal of organizing our cellar depends on it.

This week I concentrated on the hydrolastic “bags” that came off of the spare car. They are in very good condition with no leaks and the hoses and couplings seem solid. They are just rusty and crusty. There are quite a few sites that explain in much detail the inner and outer workings of these units. I will save you from ad nausea.












One point that the sites never really explain is the only difference between the front and back units. It is the flexible hose to steel hose connectors. The front has the air bleed valve, also known as the Schrader valve.


And the back ones do not have this.


One minor issue I had one of them was that the lower rubber was distended. Not a big deal to fix. Just used one of the piston cones to push it back up, and then I had to clean up the workbench where the hydrolastic fluid squirted out.


To save all the gory details of showing you the sanding (with wire brush and drill wire brush), primering and painting, I will just post the final “money shot”.


The only thing needed is a set of displacer rubber boots, Part number 21A1496. In Britain, they sell for between 7 and 9 pounds which calculates with the conversion rate to only $11 - $12. Here in the States they run from $18 - $25. A set of four would cost about $80 with shipping!! Right now the priority is putting that money towards getting Old Biddy registered.


Everyone one around the world has told me to keep these as spares and not sell them as they are growing rare. I have seen a set of four selling for $750 and up. Tempting but not persuading enough!! Next up is the final project of the winter…the rear brake drums, an interesting tale indeed.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment