About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Choke cable and vacuum hose


In order to continue working on the punch list, the car must be rolled outside because there is not enough room in the shed to open both doors at the same time. Instead of man handling and pushing the car in and out, it is easier to start it up and drive it. But in order to start the car, the choke cable had to be adjusted because it was not pulling the apparatus far enough up to actually choke the carburetors. So we began to operate…

After disconnecting the choke wire from the cable stop screw, the choke cable was removed. This revealed that the cable sleeve on the carburetor housing was broken. The wire was leaning crooked into the crack whereas it should be straight up and down.
 

Not a big deal to fix. John had a pipe that fit over the sleeve. After I cut a half inch piece and de-burred it, the new piece slid right over the broken one. Quick fix!
 

Then my attention turned to the vacuum advance system. I could not figure out how to attach the hose from the vacuum gauge to the motor. As John was helping me figure out the choke cable problems, he discovered that the distributor vacuum advance hose (which attaches the vacuum advance on the distributor to the manifold) was missing from the motor. So I sifted through all the old original metal hoses and lines (that I saved for recycling) and found the original one and connected it in place.
 

I then ran a flexible plastic fish tank air hose from the vacuum gauge up to the rubber hose that connects the metal hose to the carburetors. A tee was then connected to the end.
 

I cut the rubber hose in half and connected them to the tee. This should work.
 

But after I worked on the car and closed up for the night, a gremlin must have came and took the choke cable stop screw. You can see it in the pictures. When I went back out the next day to hook up the choke cable, I noticed it was missing. I searched everywhere and could not find it. So once again, I had to order a new one and progress is now at a standstill until a new part arrives.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment