About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Monday, December 2, 2013

Horn issues


The past two weeks have been very busy so I only had a few short moments to work on the car. During these moments, I tried to figure out why the horns were not working.

I looked at the wiring and it looks correct.
 

John let me borrow one of the steering wheel horn push buttons from his Midget stock to experiment with.
 

I thought it was going to be a direct swap for mine in the 1100. When his would not fit into my steering wheel, I examined the back sides. They are different. His has a “point” that fits in a groove on his steering wheels. Mine does not. Notice the brass contact bar on his, whereas mine is a “button”.
 

So I dissected his to put the innards into mine.
 

Everything fit perfectly…although I will need to order new parts for mine. I popped it into place on my steering wheel, turned the ignition key, pushed the horn button…and nothing happened.
 

I think I need a totally different horn push due to this button inside the steering wheel. When this horn push unit is installed, the button stays depressed. I tried pushing the button without having the horn push unit in place. Nothing happened then either, which tells me that I may have to trace the wires to see if I connected something up wrong. More research is needed.
 

It is really getting cold outside now. Since “the shed” is unheated, it will be difficult to do any work on the car itself. Progress will continue but installing parts may have to wait until Christmas break when I can bring Old Biddy into the heated garage.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment