About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sub-panel installation Phase 1: Running wires


One thing I learned over the past 48 years is that no matter how much research I do, nothing teaches me better than hands on experience. These past two weeks I have been doing a lot of research on how to hook up the four gauges on the new sub-panel. Now I get hands on and put my research to the test.

Last week I had to make two small 1” square tabs and spot weld them to the sub-panel top. It took longer than expected. As we were spot welding the tabs, it melted the paint and adhesive paper (and stunk really bad). So I had to strip the wood-grained paper off, repaint it, and install new paper. It came out nice though.
 

Then I made this handy dandy schematic for myself to tell me where to connect all the wires. Cross your fingers and hope it is correct.
 

Four wires had to be poked though the firewall from the engine bay. The two whites are for the tachometer. The green is for the tachometer (positive ground lead) and voltmeter to connect to the fuse box. The white with brown stripe is from the oil pressure sender to the oil pressure gauge.
 

It looks like spaghetti right now but will not for long. All the rest of the wiring takes place inside the car.
 

The interior makes for a giant workbench.
 

There is obviously much more to do. Next step is to install the panel to the dashboard (I have to get the proper fastener hardware). Then measure, cut, crimp, and hook up the rest of the wires. Pretty soon the dials will be spinnin'!

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment