About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sorting and trimming.


It has been a very busy month. I have not been to see Old Biddy since last posting. But little by little in the tiny bits of free time I have had, I have been gathering the chrome trim strips for cleaning and sorting.

I found what I could and unwrapped the tapes that bundled and secured them together.
 

A couple were slightly damaged and may be able to get “massaged” back to being acceptable.
 

I was stressing over finding the door trim/window chrome and the fuzzy glazing, as I thought they were lost when the car was painted. But to my relief I found them. I have new rubber strips that need to be cut to length.
 

But the fuzzy glazing strips are shot so I will definitely need new ones.
 

It took about an hour and a half to polish the strips back to a nice shine (including the long strips that attach to the roof channels not shown here).  I will still need to make all the necessary dent repairs since finding the actual trim piece I need is nearly impossible.
 

And I also found two NOS strips that someone gave me as a gift. Complete with the BMC certificate of authenticity!! The original strips these will replace are in good condition...just aged with a patina. Once the 50 year old tape is stripped, the half century old sticky glue residue will have to be removed and then the chrome will be polished..
 

And, I collected all the trunk (boot) lid bits and pieces together. I was feeling lazy and did not dig out the new MG badge from the other side of the cellar but I know where it is. I will have to clean and paint this body latch as it is rusty.
 

Here are the only two surviving original fasteners. Now I just need to find a couple dozen correct new ones. Lucky I have these to compare new ones with.
 
 

I will have a progress report on Old Biddy by this weekend. I do have to purchase a new hand brake cable as the original one was unfixable. We are planning to start her for the first time!! I may have to learn how to do a video!!

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment