About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Universal joints and sub-frame mounts

The main objective this week was to prepare and organize everything for re-installing the sub-frame and motor. I tried to install the engine into the sub-frame by myself on Tuesday. Not a pleasant site! I decided not to document my mishap as it was really ugly!! No big damage…except for some scraped paint and a bruised ego.

Instead, I concentrated on the universal joints (or couplings) since they are one of the first parts to install after the motor is put in. ADO16 universal joints are a unique part because the original couplings were rubber. Numerous people have gone on record saying that the rubber ones were unreliable and I should invest in the better parts instead. But if I were to buy a new set, it would cost $112! Chris, who rebuilt the motor, figured that if I were to take the plastic “cups” off the ends and clean them, they could be reused on another set of joints. He did some research and found that the joints are the same ones used in Triumph TR6s.

So I punched out the ends...

...cleaned them up and inspected them. Yes, there should be eight. After taking this picture, I found another one and John also has one.


I may be able to reuse the original u-bolts, which will only need new nuts and washers. I will have to make that decision soon.

Then my order was made to Moss Motors for another set of various parts. Ordering TR6 joints saved me $65! The cups just have to be pressed onto the ends.

Amongst the various parts I ordered, I am disappointed that Moss Motors' rubber coil cover does not quite fit an LA12 coil. Maybe some modifying will be in order.


The tedious chore of securing all the sub-frame mounts with new hardware turned out to be a nightmare! There were more hardware fasteners missing (or rusted beyond recognition) than I first thought and it got complicated. After taking three trips to the hardware store, everything should finally be ready to go!! It even involved getting my wife, Andrea, to help with some wrenchin’.

I hope I am all set for John to come tomorrow to help re-install the sub-frame and then the engine. After Tuesday’s bloodbath, we will have to go with Plan B and not the way I originally intended to do it. In vein of the Super Bowl (Go Patriots!!), we are going for the field goal rather than the touchdown.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment