About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Brazin' we will go!

This week I had a chance to go with John to visit our friend, Daryl, in his Tech Ed shop at an area high school. I could have used the shop in the high school where I (substitute) teach but instead I enjoy the camaraderie. I took three projects along with me to complete.
One end of the holding strap for the windshield washer fluid bottle holder popped off and needed a quick repair.

Four years ago I tried to remove the bolts to the brackets that hold a brake caliper to the brake dust shield. I busted all three off! I was young and dumb back then...what can I say?


The sub-frame motor mount on the passenger side of the Austin America sub-frame (which is the one I am using because it is in the car now) is 3/8” narrower than the (motor’s) original 1100 engine sub-frame (pictured below.) In order for the motor to fit properly in the Austin America sub-frame, I had to make a pattern then fabricate a spacer out of a spare 3/8” aluminum sheet that John had.

When we got to the shop, I first cut the spacer out on a very dull band saw. Once the sub-frame is taken out of the car (to install the motor and front suspension), I will have to measure for and then drill the holes in the spacer before we install the motor.

John used the torch to loosen the bolts. He reinstalled the nuts onto the dust covers and brazed them in place instead of spot welding. He likes to braze things.

Next, we took the bottle washer holder and measured the bottle for fit. He clamped the holder into place so he could braze that, too, instead of spot welding it together. Did I mention that John likes to braze things?

It only took us an hour and a half to complete all three projects. I just do not have the tools (nor the skills) to do those repairs at home. I then took the parts home to sand, primer and paint them. And after four years…Viola! They are finally done!

I am hoping the new clutch master cylinder repair kit and NOS clutch slave cylinder arrive this week from England. The next project in line for going up on my bench is the pedal box assembly. I would like to repair, finish, and install that before we get the motor back from Chris.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment