About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Big things DO come in small packages! Door Panel repair Part 2.

Big doings this week, as I will try to explain.
First two very important small parts arrived, the door panel clips (25 total) arrived from Victoria British…

…and the door bolt screws arrived from DMP fasteners in Chatsworth, California. Yes I know they do not have the proper pointed ends, but they are new and not rusty and nobody will unscrew them to look! I hope not anyway.

Since I received the door panel clips, I went right to work putting the passenger side door panel together. Just like the first one, I fit the Masonite panel to the door (with the clips on first this time), so I could mark the holes for the window crank and the door handle. I drilled the holes and checked to see if they fit. They do!

Then I fit the vinyl to the panel. This one will need a little more attention than the first. The vinyl is more wrinkly and lumpy.

I had to trim this panel quite a bit as you can see by the red marker line.

After cutting the Masonite, the vinyl was fit on. This one gave me a bit more trouble than the first. Some of the staples in the red pad strip did not line up so I used my needle nose pliers and straightened them out.

Finally stapling it on with what seemed like ten million staples. Since the staples were a touch too long, I cut up a cardboard cereal box into thin strips to act as a spacer. It worked great and I should have done this on the other one, too, but it is too late now!

It all worked out well and after my whole summer went by, both panels are finally finished (minus the handles and door pockets, which will be installed after the doors are hung and these are attached to the doors.)

And now for some eye candy. I had to drop stuff off at Chris's last night. Here is the rebuilt transmission about 75% complete. My goodness it is sure pretty!

And remember the stinky, icky, oily sludge that was stuck in the bottom? Well, look at it now!

Next, now that the screws came, I will hang the doors on Old Biddy. I will have to call on my good friend John to help me as it is a two person job.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment