About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Winter updates...spare front sub-frame and new parts.


As winter rolls on this year, I have been selling “stuff” on that auction site. It is a win-win for me. Stuff that I no longer need or want is leaving my cellar and going into the hands of people need or want it. And, in the process, it is funding some purchases of bits and pieces I need for Old Biddy and items around the house that need repair. But to get to the stuff to sell, I had to pass by the rusty, dirty spare front sub-frame that has been sitting on the floor since I got it!

First, let us discuss the spare front sub-frame. Since last year when I cleaned up the other rusty, crusty, smelly parts, this “thing” has been calling me to give it some attention, too.


The sub-frame itself was in very good condition. It just needed love and a "spa treatment".


There were just a couple spots that needed more pampering than others. Those areas received the usual process of removing a couple stuck bolts and some caked on grease, but nothing too difficult.


As with all my parts, the sub-frame was sanded down, then thoroughly cleaned and primered.
                                                                             


I am just waiting for a warm spring day to take it outside to paint it black. After spraying the primer, the fumes stunk up the house for three days. Due to the cold weather we were not able to open the windows to air the house out!! But at least the sub-frame is protected from further rusting for the next three months.



I received a new voltage regulator (read my last post about why I think the one installed in Old Biddy  is bad), and a new coolant temperature sensor for Christmas this year. It was brought to my attention that the one in Old Biddy now may be either faulty, or may have been damaged when the car was overheating. When I replace it we will find out if that was why the temperature gauge was reading high.


I took a little bit of my auction site profits and treated myself. I bought four new rubber hydrolastic unit dust covers (part 21A1496) from Seven Enterprises. But when they are compared to the old original one (on the right) the center is much different than the original. I know that these rubbers were also used on the hydrogas units as well. When I have the patience, I will try to fit them. I do not know if they will work. We will see. No one anywhere in the world has the original design rubber dust covers, that I know of. If anyone knows, please let me know!


As stuff from my cellar leaves our house and disappears around the world, it is looking much cleaner down there. I still have things to buy to repair stuff upstairs. Afterwards, I will collect more parts for Old Biddy as spares, and I would like to finish rebuilding some of those “almost done” projects.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment