About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sub-panel installation Phase 3: Tachometer and finishing


This week I finally finished installing the instruments. The last one to connect was the tachometer.

This is a Smiths RVI 2401/00B. The “I” stands for Impulse, which means it is electrical and non-mechanical (no tachometer cable to the engine). The back side shows a loop of white wire, or impulse loop. One side of the wire is marked red, and the other side is marked black.
 

Since Old Biddy is a positive ground car, the red wire connects to the coil, and the black usually connects to the distributor (reverse that for a negative ground car). Notice I said “usually”. I wanted to connect it up as it would have been done if built in the factory, such as the way an MG Midget was hooked up. So I traced the white coil wire with my continuity meter from the coil to the fuse box and marked it with a red Sharpie.
 

Then I traced the wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box, and marked it black. This is the wire that would have been connected to the distributor. In essence, the white wires go through the tachometer instead of the fuse box, like a Midget and MGB. I connected the wires so I could cut them to length inside the car.
 

I set the tachometer in its place in the panel and hooked up the wires inside the car while disconnecting the other ends back at the fuse box. I went to turn the panel lights on to test the tachometer light and it did not go on. Good thing I did that while the white wires were not connected because I found that the tachometer was not grounded. I ended up connecting a black wire to ground.
 

Then, I flipped the switches again and all the panel lights went on!! Quite exciting! (Of course they are much brighter in real life.)
 

Next step is to connect the white wires at the fuse box to the tachometer and test it. But…cantankerous Old Biddy will not start. I have to wait for this weekend when the weather is supposed to get above 50’F before I can troubleshoot. Hopefully it is only a minor setback.

Thanks for visiting.

Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment