About Me

New Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Name: Todd Russo Location: New Hartford, CT, USA

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Interior vinyl installation Part 3

After a trip away for Thanksgiving, and a very busy work week, I finally had some time to upholster the vinyl in the car.

I decided to clip (clothespin) all the pieces in place to make sure I had them all. It also kept them up out of the way to keep them clean.

I tried to experiment to find a good adhesive for applying the vinyl to the metal. I first tried Super 77, then Super 90. Neither worked well and the vinyl bubbled more than it stuck to the metal. The next attempt was contact cement, which seemed to work fine.
I started by first applying the contact cement to both surfaces then letting it set before I stuck the piece in place. This small "test" bottle was in my cellar. I ended up buying a small can and a throw away paint brush.

After the pieces stuck in place, they were trimmed with the razor blade.
It took a good six hours (a full weekend) but at least they are all glued in now.

 I am so glad I got the lighter shade gray...it really looks sharp especially with the off-white pads and rear shelf! I did get some “elephant skinning” but I will fix that later, when I regain my patience.

For a first time novice amature, it was a gallant attempt. There will definitely be some touching up to do. But the hard part is completed and I can move on to other stuff!! One thing I liked was that there was only a small pile of scrap trimmings afterwards.

This week my goal is to finish the details then install the headliner, rear panel pocket armrests, and rear seats. These will not take nearly as much time as this project.
Thanks for visiting.
Toddy

No comments:

Post a Comment